Welcome To Brain Checker,
For any brand, communication with the customer is of utmost importance. What better way to tell people about your company’s products than ads? It’s understood that advertising jobs are influential. Think about it- we still continue to sing the jingles from our childhood.
The basic concept of advertising is the customer’s ability to recall. If a customer can recall your product from memory, your advertisement has made an impact.
The forms of media are as vast as the kind of content that goes into ads: anything from billboards, televisions, newspapers, fliers, websites, to radio, can serve as a platform to give out information about your product—as long as you do it smartly and creatively. How big is the advertising industry? It’s where most media house get their revenue from! So, needless to say, it’s a lucrative career opportunity for anyone who takes a chance at it.
Advertising Career is a $ 5 Billion business. The Most popular mediums for the purpose of advertising are –
- Online websites
Advertising Career is one of the aspects of Mass communication. A product or service is advertised to the masses to create awareness in the minds of potential buyers.
According to a survey. An Average consumer is exposed to 3000 Advertising messages in a day.
Advertising plays an important role in today’s highly competitive world. Career in Advertising is quite a glamorous. At the same time, quite challenging too with more an more number of advertising agencies emerging fast.
The Major areas of Advertising are –
- Market Research
- Client servicing
- Film & Television
- Creative Department
- Media Department
- Event & Exhibition Management
- Direct Marketing and Promotion
Advertising is broadly divided into two categories –
Creative & Executive
Creative advertising includes visualizers, copywriters, scriptwriters, photographers, typographers. To have best Career in Advertising.
Most of the people believe a career in advertising is only about writing catchphrases and slogans, which ain’t truly completely. Writing happens to be a complex process . A writer needs to understand life more fully and translate that into a story.
- Have an innate interest in people from different walks of life.
- Must possess an insight into the psychology and behavior of the common man.
- Ability to work well in a team set up i.e. Good team working skills are necessary.
- Being creative and thinking ‘out of the box’ is the most vital skill required in this profession. A wide imagination is very essential.
- Critical thinking is very vital skill too.
- Problem solving ability is very useful in Advertising.
- He/ she must possess excellent communication skills. This is another must have, as Career in Advertising is one aspect of mass communication.
- One needs to be enthusiastic about his/ her work.
- Should be able to multi task well.
- People skills i.e interpersonal skills are vital requirement for Career in Advertising.
- Efficient decision making skills are also needed here.
- Must be able to handle stress and work under pressure and meet the deadlines well.
- Persuasiveness is also a necessary skill.
- Analytical skills are considered as essential as an other vital skill in this profession.
- One should equip themselves with skills such as analyzing the client’s needs.
- Research skills also help a lot in finding out about the services and products they are required to sell.
Career in Advertising
In the advertising industry one can build a lucrative career as a copywriter, art director, ad sales, managing accounts of client portfolio and earn good perks.
High school and college students can prepare for entry into the advertising field by doing some or all of the following:
- Develop a solid knowledge of marketing by taking classes that expose you to theories and strategies for marketing products and services.
- Work for your school newspaper, magazine, or year book in the advertising department. You can take on roles which will give you experience designing/laying out ads, writing copy, securing advertising clients and devising ad options which meet their needs.
- Create web pages and blogs regarding topics of interest. Utilize social media and other marketing techniques to promote your sites and enhance traffic. Document your success in expanding your audience.
- Take on publicity and promotion roles with student clubs and organizations. Devise and execute creative plans to increase attendance at events and expand club membership.
- Enroll in advertising classes and seminars where you can develop campaigns for your portfolio. Students targeting the creative department should consider specialized ad schools like “Creative Circus” or “The Portfolio Center.”
- Work for your campus TV or radio station where you can create and produce advertising. Often this will involve developing campaigns for public service spots for campus/community organizations.
- Meet with advertising professionals for informational interviews to learn more about the field. Get recommendations for pros to target from guidance and career offices as well as family contacts.
- Consider job shadowing any contacts with whom you develop a nice rapport during a school break.
- Join advertising professional organizations that allow student membership. Network with members, attend student conferences and participate in student competitions (ask teachers and professors for recommendations).
- Engage in as many internships as possible with local marketing, media or advertising firms. Most of these roles will be unpaid so consider coupling a part-time internship with a paid job.
- By preparing in these ways, you’ll distinguish yourself from the competition and lay the foundation for a rewarding career in advertising.
Top Courses in Advertising
- B.Sc. (Mass Communication, Advertising and Journalism)
- M.A. (Advertising and Marketing Management)
- M.A. Advertising & Public Relations
- Diploma in Advertising and Media
Top universities where you can make career in advertising,
- Xavier’s Institute of Communications (XIC)-Mumbai
- School of Communications & Reputation (SCoRe)
- Symbiosis’ Institutes: SIMC, Pune & SSMC-Bangalore
- Delhi School of Communications (DSC)-Delhi
- Indian Institute of Mass Communications (IIMC)-Delhi
Hope you find this article useful..!